At R3 we’re planning to change the world. Joining us means working at the cutting edge of permissioned blockchain and distributed ledger technology (DLT) whilst it transforms the future of business.
Corda is a DLT platform conceived at the outset for running complex workflows between businesses absent centralized points of control. Designed for the needs of financial markets infrastructures, it is trusted by banks, stock exchanges, insurance companies, payments companies, and others to deliver reliable, scalable, and performant decentralized systems.
You will be responsible for leading the Corda Platform’s Interoperability engineering team, currently tasked with building the bridging technology between public blockchains, such as Ethereum, and Corda. This is a greenfield project area; you will provide leadership, have design oversight, architectural input, mentoring, planning, and generally manage the day-to-day operations of the team, with oversight from senior members of the engineering team. You will, in addition, be expected to face up to stakeholders both within your own reporting structure and beyond to other parts of the company.
Key Responsibilities (what will I do most often?)
- Focus on and help define the delivery of key milestones for your team’s project(s), managing the team’s ability to hit deadlines and delight stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain the culture of your team whilst embodying it internally and externally. One that values every member’s unique contributions, where the team strives to hit commitments, and craftsmanship is championed.
- Line manage your team, ensuring each engineer is supported and made to feel a part of the team and company’s mission.
- Collaborate with stakeholders and your sister teams to ensure we deliver Corda as one collective team.
- Contribute towards your team’s technical delivery by developing software, writing & reviewing designs, code reviewing, and ensuring our software is acceptable for hands-on use.
- Engage in R3’s hiring to ensure we have high-caliber talent to build our software.
- Encourage a culture of ownership in which your engineers feel empowered to make design choices, learn from successes and failures, and always seek to build better and more capable new versions of software.
Other Responsibilities (what will I do sometimes?)
- Jointly plan the team’s product roadmap with colleagues in the Product Management and Engineering Services teams. This may involve occasional travel between our Dublin and London offices.
- Represent your team during cross-team alignments, retrospectives, and technical discussion forums.
- Present and discuss the work of your team with R3 stakeholders.
Essential Skills (what do I need to do the job?)
- You contribute to defining the technical vision of the team.
- You have a strong technical background and understand the journey your team is on, you lead by being “the example” of great.
- You appreciate that Software Engineering is a discipline and Programming a craft, embracing both and seeking to better each.
- You have experience working with some flavor of Ethereum or Enterprise Ethereum
- You have developed and deployed software that runs on the EVM
- You are able to design and develop enterprise-level software. We develop in Java and Kotlin, plus utilize cloud technologies, such as AWS, to deliver Corda – although these are not mandatory to have, you may be interested in working with these technologies.
- You are familiar with standard building and delivery automation tools – previous experience with Gradle is desired.
- You have worked in domains where high availability and performance matter.
- You have seen how to get the best from people, how things can go wrong, and know the difference.
- You care about quality, and engineering agility, and have the desire to provide the best possible products and capabilities for our customers.
- You are calm and a reassuring leader, even under pressure.
- You have great communication skills and are a confident presenter.