At R3 you will be at the cutting edge of distributed ledger technology (DLT).
Corda is a DLT designed for running complex workflows between businesses, without any centralized points of control. You will work on a system trusted by banks, insurance companies, stock exchanges, payments companies, and others – highly demanding industries with the interesting technical challenges that come with them.
R3’s Corda 5 customers go through a journey; from first using Corda, through prototyping and MVPs to developing and deploying revenue generating production applications. The quicker they go thorough that journey, the quicker they, and consequently R3, will make money.
The team remit is to accelerate our customers ‘Time to Value’ when using Corda 5. In other words, help our customers make money faster.
We do this through working with our internal and external customer facing teams to identifying blockers and friction in our customers’ development journey, then doing whatever we need to do to remove that friction. This could include optimization or functional improvement work on the core Corda platform, building supporting tooling, developing efficient coding techniques for CorDapps (Corda Applications), or anything else the team identifies to make the journey faster … innovation is key.
Early focus of the team will be around accelerating our internal and external Digital Currencies and Market Infrastructure initiatives, focusing on building tooling suites, to support the swift development of production grade, systemically important financial platforms.
As part of the team, you will:
Take the holistic view across the journey of a Corda 5 technical customer, helping to identify friction points and blockers.
Employ your flexible technology skill set to develop innovative ways to accelerate our customers.
Gain a strong understanding of the Corda Platform, techniques for writing CorDapps (Corda Applications) and the underlying Java/ Kotlin technology.
Influence the future direction of Corda, championing the needs of the technical customers who use it.
No team is an island – you will work with many others across the company, to help ensure we build the best possible products. You will have the opportunity to showcase your work and help influence your colleagues’ thinking.
- About you:
- You are a motivated, self-sufficient and flexible software engineer with a diverse range of problem solving, system design and coding skills.
- You have a good grasp of computer science fundamentals, either through formal study or via some other route. You are curious and quick to learn about new technologies, and keen to build on your skills by learning on the job. You may have contributed to building distributed systems previously or have a strong interest in the area.
- You will have a strong ability to empathize with the users of products you have worked on and may have experience of creating software which accelerates other developers.
- You will have been responsible for independently delivering small to medium sized pieces of software to a production standard. You will have the ability to convey technical concepts in a clear and engaging way.
- You may have lead a small team of engineers at some point in you career, but this is not essential.
- Part of the team’s work is likely to be around test tooling for CorDapps, hence, experience using and building software that enables developers to test their software would be valuable, but not essential.
- At R3 we believe the best Engineers can adapt to and learn any language. For this role, a flexible mindset and a willingness to learn is the priority, however, a significant portion of the work will be in Kotlin/ Java, hence, knowledge and/or familiarity with the Java ecosystem would be a bonus.
- Depth of Expertise: Typically, 6+ years of commercial experience, although this is a guide only; passion, capability and potential are more important.
- Proactively generate ideas to accelerate our customers, we want somebody who will be driving the ideas forward and looking for the opportunities to improve our products and tools.
- Contribute to the technical direction and strategic vision for the team.
- Use business analysis skills to interact with product management team(s) to marry technical delivery and client requirements.
- Independently design, code, test and maintain innovative solutions to accelerate our customers’ ‘Time-to-Value’. Including modifications to the core platform, tooling, reference code.
- Hands on coding and design, and assisting other engineers with coding and design.